Friday, September 4, 2009

McGrath - McGraw - A few notes

Instead of my usual blog attempting to be humorous... here is a little trivia for all the McGrath/McGraw's out there. First, I am told by people from Ireland that McGrath is pronounced "McGraw" in Ireland....

So, Dr. Phil must be my cousin... hah... Yes, I have always told people "how it is", so even without the "name", therefore I claim "cousinship".... (I am sure worse things have happened to Dr. Phil than this Wild Old Lady dangling from his family tree!)

Genealogists have traced all McGrath/McGraw's back to five tribes in Ireland and have confirmed that four of the five are genetically related.... hah..

The clan/tribe was founded by a man named "Raith", and the sons of "Raith" were names "McRaith" which "Darwinized" over the years to "McGrath". The McGraths were defenders of the O'Brien clan, and also were artists and poets....

When I think about this "Raith" ancestor, I also think about the root of the word "wrath".... (Did "wrath" come from "Raith"?)

This is why I think that might be true.... Most of the McGrath's I know are slow to anger.... but if terribly mistreated, a trait I call "The Wrath of McGrath" comes to the forefront... hah... The object of this wrath is then usually subjected to a dressing down that is usually more effective than any physical smite is. (Sound a little "Dr. Phill-ish"?)

So for you of the McGrath/McGraw Clan... I would be interested in your comments/feedback. You can send me a private e-mail through the e-mail link on my profile, or post on this blog.

Love to you all, as we all are related anyway... from that Wild Old Lady, who will return to Florida soon!

No comments: