Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Did I Just Tell My Friend She's Going To Die Before Me?

Oh no,... Not again! Me and my big, helpful mouth....

By now you know that when I make a mistake, it's a big one. Then, instead of finding a graceful way to exit the situation, I keep opening my mouth and make it worse.

Imagine rushing to your grandmother's house, which is on fire, and accidentally throwing kerosine on it... Yes, that's me..



Picture me in Niagara Falls visiting with two of my oldest, dearest friends, who I will call "Janet" and "Nancy"..... Well, Janet has decided to get rid of the things that have accumulated in her house, garage, cellar, and attic for years. Janet is a very healthy and active person, mentally sharp and as neat as a pin, whereas I am quite overweight and ditto for the rest.

Someone mentioned what would happen to all of Janet's excess stuff if she died before having a chance to get rid of it...

Well, obese me, 68 years old and with a "real age" score of about 102, volunteered happily... "Oh, you could leave everything to me, and I could put it all on Ebay, and we could give the money to an animal shelter..."

As I was talking, I noticed a pall fall over Janet's face... I know what she was thinking... ("You think I'm going to die before you, Fat Cheeks?")

Now, Janet has known me for many years, after a moment she realized that I was having one of my famous "brain farts", and she began to smile, enjoying the moment.

Of course I rambled on, but it was nice to be with people who didn't put my dumb comments down to "old age" like my kids do. At times I come up with brilliant ideas, (Yes, I do!) so my "odd moments" make even me think I am some sort of undiagnosed Savant..

The good outcome was that I also told Janet that all of the charities now sell items on the internet, so if she left her estate to her favorite one, it would be their problem to sort it all out, plus they would be grateful for the donation. I think this took some of the worry out of the process for Janet. Hey, that's what friends are for!

So, in case you are an only child with no heirs, don't waste your time worrying about your accumulations. Make sure you have a will in place, and someone else can have all the fun of "sorting" your stuff when you're gone! Go on a cruise instead and learn how to Rock Climb!

Hah! Love to all from this Wild Old Lady stuck in Florida, who still misses her old friends!

No comments: