Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Art Trading Cards... Here Are A Couple of Mine!


Here's my little Alaskan Salamander, painted in oil, a miniature of 2-1/2" x 3-1/2"...!

It has been said that Art Trading Cards are a modern innovation.... Not True! They were used in Vincent Van Gogh's time for sure, and much earlier. I understand that they were used in early times so artists could carry portable samples of their work, as photography did not exist at that time. I am surprised to see reputable sources citing these as a "new" art form. Shame! (Hah.... if I have to be the new expert, we are in terrible trouble...!)


This is my first attempt at painting the Gould Lake (Ontario, Canada) scene, and I did it in miniature "Art Trading Card" form. See how clear the water is? Makes you want to jump in!




 This watercolor study of a vase of flowers behind a colored glass window was done in the miniature size of 4-1/2" x 5-1/2"....

When you do enough of these studies, they help you develop your skill. They are fun and easy to do! I can't sell this one because it is about 80% copied from a book, but I have done quite a few more originals, based on this idea!

As a novice, I started a few large watercolor paintings because I like to work "large" (Large seems to match me!) .... Error, error!!! Always do small works of art first, when you are a novice!

Well, back to my painting, now.... Bye for now, you wonderful, discerning Art Lovers.... From that Wild Old Lady's Studio in Florida!

No comments: