Monday, October 26, 2009

Genealogy - Even if you're not a genealogist, write down what you know!


There are my family books.... only one was compiled by family genealogists and printed properly.... The others are an assortment of notes about different family lines I came from ... names and stories.

Perhaps I will never get around to taking this information a step further, but at least it is written down and semi-organized so that if one of my descendants is interested in family history, they will have a good "starting point"....

That's more than I ever had.... With the Gallinger family, I only knew my grandfather's name, and remembered that an uncle once casually noted that his grandparents were named "Joseph and Mary"....

With the internet so available, I just happened to find a reference to Lily Worrall, who was researching the Gallinger Family. When I gave her my grandfather's name, she said there were several "Robert Gallinger's" in that generation. When I mentioned his parents were Mary and Joseph, that narrowed it down to Joseph Gallinger and Mary Crites Gallinger as being the parents of Robert! That was an important detail!

Lily is my cousin three times over in the Gallinger family... (Don't even ask...!) and more talented than I ever will be!

Six months later I was in Cornwall, Ontario, attending a Gallinger Reunion with almost 300 Gallingers who came from across the United States and Canada to attend!

I found out that I was descended from men who fought in the American Revolution, but for the "Crown".... (I also am getting close to finding a different group of ancestors fought for the United States.... Small world, eh?

To compensate for the absence of information I received from my own parents, I am making sure my own children get all the info possible. I know that it is only important who and what you are. It doesn't matter who your ancestors are, in the end. It's just a fun hobby, and full of surprises....!

There was a magic moment when I looked at a dour photo of my great, great grandmother... I said to myself, "They had to sit very still back then to have a photo turn out.... Do you think she pursed her lips to hold her face still? That would account for the pouty look..." Then I went to a mirror, pursed my lips... and oh my Gosh, there was a somber Mary Jane Brotherton looking back at me! What a moment hah...!

So when you are laughing at your ancestor's photos, try mugging a little in front of your mirror! You might be surprised at what you see!

Well, now I must go and paint! Love to all of you from that Wild Old Lady in Florida who's writing notes for her kids and making faces in the mirror :) !

1 comment:

goonchannel said...

My name is Jason Goon and I have a similar painting. Please contact me at goonchannel@gmail.com