Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Winter Scene Beginning... "A Sketch In Time"..


Being raised in Niagara Falls, New York, I am used to winter scenes! Though I never loved driving on icy roads, I always delighted in sitting at a window on a cold winter's night and looking at the frosty scene outside!

This winter (in Florida) I am digging out some of my old photos and painting some of the winter scenes that I used to enjoy in person!

I have begun the above study in graphite, to be executed in watercolor.... If I really like it, I will paint it in oils! Oil painting offers the best way to maximize effects....

Formerly I used to just try to paint anything in oils, but am choosing more carefully now. I find that the investment of a minimum of three months of my life in a painting that I might not like at the end... is too costly!

Now I invest a week or two in a sketch, then watercolor, and that helps me to decide if the subject is worthy of "oil".... hah...

It's kind of like dating a man awhile before you marry him! It gives you time to work out the "kinks" before you make your committment... Amen!...

More love to you, along with my good advice on love and painting.... from that Wild Old Lady who finds herself unexpectedly living in Florida!

No comments: