Monday, October 19, 2009

Yvonne Columbe's Portrait and a Greek Goddess Doodle



This is a portrait in oil I am working on. Finally, after the 4th try, I have settled on a background. Now I will let it dry and I can return to the face, make adjustments, then I can paint her hair. It will be looser, fuller, and darker!

Yvonne is the wife of a friend of ours and sadly she passed away. This portrait, taken from a "young" photo, will be given to our friend in her honor.


This will hopefully be the last portrait I have to paint from a "colorized" photo. These old photos were black and whites,... and photographers used special colored inks to tone them with. At times photographers would play around with the facial features until the original person was beyond recognition. Thank goodness, looking through a magnifying glass I saw that this photographer was at least true to the subject's features. My only challenge was to get beyond the horrible gray tints to come up with lively coloring. It will turn out well.

Oh, for fun.... here is a Doodle I made... It's the back view of a Greek Goddess, done in loose watercolor.... just to show you I can paint in a looser manner!




Remember, that Wild Old Lady in Florida paints almost every day, so be careful she doesn't take your photo! .... Hah... what fun!

No comments: