Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Racism - What My Grandmother Taught Me In 1951

My Grandparents lived in the country next to a black woman, Mrs. Jackson and her children. (Back then, we said "colored.) Since I visited for a few weeks with my grandparents every summer, I had the chance to get to know Mrs. Jackson's daughter, Janet.

Janet Jackson was fun and pleasant... easy to get along with, and we enjoyed hours of play after her chores were done. Janet worked every day, either helping her mother with chores, or helping her brother in the field. I often watched, anxious for Janet to complete her work so we could play....

The summer of 1951, being ten ... I was allowed to venture further and I became acquainted with other little girls a few houses away. It was great fun, as I instigated the girls to clean out an unused chicken coop, set it up as a "club-house", and we even put on a "variety show" for the people in town. During this fun period I became "accepted"... and then the girls told me that I shouldn't play with Janet anymore because she was "colored".

To my mind this was probably something important that I just didn't "get", but I had better listen to these girls! So the next day, when I was sitting outside my grandparent's house, Janet came over with her big smile.

I could hardly make eye contact with her, and I said.. "I can't play with you any more." She asked, "Why?" ... and I said, "Because you're colored..." (and I thought this was an explanation she would understand, and that it made sense somewhere out of my little universe...)

Well, Mrs. Jackson called my Gramma, and my Gramma talked to me. I was thrilled to understand that I could play with Janet, but felt horrible about my mistake...

We went to the Jackson house, hand in hand, and I apologized to Janet and her mother. After that, Janet and I resumed our "play", but I always hoped she really understood how I got pulled into that inane act of stupidity.

Grampa died the following year, and I never saw Janet again. I hope she has had a good life.

Sorry for the serious note... but this wild old lady in Florida has her reflective side too!

Love to everyone, and don't hurt each other! It never makes sense! :)

No comments: