Monday, August 31, 2009

Finding A Motel On A Foggy Night! ..."Almost Psycho!"

Comfortably housed tonight in a "Marriott Fairfield Inn" (with indoor swimming pool !!!) I think back to the night my Corky and I had the "Foggy Night Motel" experience!

Many years ago, we were on a route in Northern New York State (I leave the route anonymous to avoid being sued!), on a night that began with the whisper of fog....

Within an hour we were hopelessly engulfed in a thick "pea soup fog" that made it difficult to see the hood of our car.... Although my dear Corky usually drives bravely through almost any conditions (being impervious to my screams), even he agreed that we should stop at a motel for the night.

"Watch for a motel..." he grunted, thinking I had special optical powers that could permeate the thick mist... hah...

In the night and mist I spotted a flashing neon sign.... so we pulled over. Oh, joy... we were between two buildings with signs.... One said "Beer" and one said "Motel".... (And though I had not had a drink since 1980, I actually considered the "Beer" sign for a moment...sorry)

We went into a room with decor from the period of "Bonnie and Clyde"... (I could picture a trio of Depression-Era bank robbers splitting the loot on that very "sway-backed" bed....hah..)

Trying to not touch anything with my bare skin, I laid on the bed, waiting for dawn. My Corky thought it was fine, compared with his time in a tent as a peace-time soldier in Germany, so he slept like an angel with a clear conscience. (Darn...I admired him!)

In the morning, after a brief sleep, I awoke to the sun streaming across my face.... Sun? I shut the drapes last night! What?

I then looked up and saw the source.... a row of bare windows were cut into the top of the door... Huh? Very decorative!

How far were the windows from the floor? About 5'6"... So any person 5'10" or over could easily look in the room through those "uncurtained" motel windows. It was the strangest motel amenity I have ever seen, and it made me grateful that Corky and I had been so tired the night before!

So as I sit tonight in the wonderful Marriott - Fairfield Hotel, writing my blog on their computer, I am thrilled at my good fortune! (The only "window" in our door is a peephole!...)

So goodnight from that Wild Old Lady... who must return to Florida... and I hope you all have good fortune too!

No comments: