Sunday, August 16, 2009

From Niagara Falls, New York - The "Story-Keepers" Of My Life

We who are fortunate still have the "story keepers" of our life! They are friends and relatives who were "there" in our youth, and they remember who we really were.

It's a comfort to talk to an old friend or relative who remembers the Thanksgiving when Uncle Fred did the Charleston wearing a lampshade and Aunt Wilma was so mad that she threw fistfuls of mashed potatoes at him!

"Oh!" we think, (Relieved that we didn't imagine it...) "Yes, that did happen!" Now you know why you have an adversion to mashed potatoes! (Another piece of the puzzle that is "you" is solved!)

Recently, an old friend from Niagara Falls called me because I mailed to her an old letter that I found while cleaning my "archives". This 40+ year old letter was written by her at a crucial and low point in both of our lives.

She said, "I had forgotten how poor I was!"... No coffee or cigarettes for five days... etc.. We went on to have a nice recollection of the "good and bad" old days, feeling fortunate and snug sitting in our "paid up" homes, with social security checks coming in, and little nest-eggs for discretionary spending.

I remember well when Nancy and I were young and poor .... her parents had passed away, and mine were disinterested/crazy, so we were on our own at 18 years old! We got our first apartment together, and made a good odd couple... my creative zanniness and her calm common sense made life fun.

Back in the fifties, Niagara Falls, New York was the place to be for single girls. Nearby, we had an Air Force Base, Army Base and then along came the giagantic "Power Project", which imported even more men! (We won't talk about the sixties when the men left!)

Even if a girl had the face of Charles Laughton, the figure of "Mr. Ed", and the personality of "The Pilsbury Dough-Boy" (Hooh-hooh!), she could still find a husband! Therefore, I dated in a manner that I refer to as "heavily".... (Who wouldn't!??)

Nancy was more restrained, but I do recall her receiving a phone call from a man who was home "on military leave", who said... "Oh, Nancy, you remember me! I'm in the service!" Nancy, ever practical, deadpanned seriously - "Which branch?" and for some reason he hung up!

Somehow we survived our stupidity, and the fact that we are still alive is proof that there is a God!

Now can't any of you identify with an 18 year old experiencing freedom for the first time?

I am grateful I had a good friend with me who had more common sense in her little finger than I have even now.... It's inevitable that today we are each other's " "Story-Keepers" for that fragile period in our lives!

Here in Florida I have entertained people with stories about my "past life". The not-so discreet side-glances and whispered comments of disbelief which greet my "historical gems" dissappoint me. (Do these people think I am stupid, blind, and deaf?) These people don't know me and never will now.

I finally "got it" that a lot of people "re-invent" themselves down here, so no-one believes what anyone else says unless they can provide proof. (Frauds! ...hah)

So be sure to thank God for all the "Story Keepers" in your life... They help you when you are "down" by reminding you what an interesting life you led, and "No, it was not just a "dream"!

Life is good!

Bye for now from this wild old lady who was "displaced" to Florida, but still has her memories of fun and laughs about them!

Love and Hugs to you!.... :)

No comments: