Thursday, July 16, 2009

Finding Old Letters In A Box - My Reward

Living 1200 miles from my children, I've decided it's practical to sort my "papers" out. I have worked on it for days, and am only half done....

But my kids won't have to come and go through all of this when I "go to my eternal reward"... (Hah... we don't say "die" here in Florida, that's understood!)

It's important that your kids get to have important family photos, keepsakes and documents. Old people usually don't realize that if they don't have the patience to sort these items and put them in an organized system, the kids sure aren't! (It can get to the "Hello Dumpster" stage real quick!)

Well, I intend to make it easy for my kids. After removing the buttons, rubber bands, expired store coupons, mummified chewed gum, and old electric bills from the boxes... I am finally down to the "important" papers. I wish I had done this years ago, and I warn you to think about what you have squirrelled away!

But one unexpected reward for me... was finding here and there, letters from old friends. The letters began when I was 12, from dear girls I left behind in the country when I moved to the city. I had forgotten what good friends those girls were, and how well we knew each other. The letters go on with other friends for many years, and they warmed my heart!

I had forgotten how much I had meant to my friends, and visa versa! Also, I had forgotten all the trials we had supported each other through, and the humor and intellect of my "buddies".

Of course there were a few love letters from a couple of boyfriends who thought they couldn't live without me! Hah.... glad they can't see me now, waddling down the lane!

After reading the old letters I felt really good about my life. I realized that anything I had gained, or how much I ended up with didn't count much. One of the most endearing things was the friendships I had been blessed with.

(We won't even go to the "children" category.... they are the moon and stars to me!)

So, be kind to your kids, start organizing your papers! You too just might find out how much you were loved! Hah....

When you do it, think about that wild old lady in Florida who loves her life! :)

No comments: