Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mary Jane Brotherton-Neil - Civil War Widow

Mary Jane Brotherton-Neil was my great, great grandmother and I appreciate the luxury in my life more now that I know a few facts about her life and how hard it must have been.

Born in 1824, she married William Neil, a New York State farmer, and according to one source they had ten children. Around the end of the Civil War her husband was forced to serve in the union army. His objection was having a wife with ten children and a crop in the field, leaving them would have been more dishonorable than serving in the Army. He did go, having no choice... and it was in vain, as he died from Typhus in Washington, and never did go into battle.

Can you imagine what his dying thoughts were, away from home?

Back then life was hard for most ordinary hard-working people, and Mary Jane Brotherton-Neil had no time to "recover" from her grief. There was a crop to be tended and children to continue to raise. She could not turn on a radio or TV for distraction... she only had time to work, and perhaps sing some hymns on Sunday.

The following year two of her youngest sons died. From hunger, from disease? I don't know... but I am sure Mary Jane shed tears for them too. She passed away around 1908, living in her daughter's (Serena Love's) home.

How lucky I am that I am not my great, great grandmother, yet also lucky to be descended from her!

Mary Jane, I hope you have a special spot in heaven!

No comments: