Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Pineapple Caper

I love to surprise my husband with new delights from the grocery store. (Those are the delights he is still able to enjoy!... hah)

It was with pride that I bought a fresh pineapple from the deli section of our best local grocery store and brought it home. It was not the type of pineapple with the prickly top and dimpled sides that I usually sit on the counter until it rots... this one was already trimmed into a wonderful peeled tube, with the core evenly cut into a circular tube, then left intact to keep the fruit juicy and solid! Oh, how proudly it sat on the refrigerator shelf, protected in it's glistening, plastic doric column. (What a beautiful thing, I thought...)

Afraid my husband wouldn't notice this latest culinary gem, yet anxious to sample it's succulence, I took it out later that evening to sample. But the core was missing!

What had happened?

I stood there, mystified by such chicannery, when my husband emerged briefly from his "Man Room".

He was moving at an uncharacteristically quick pace, so I knew he was on his way to make a "pit stop" during a commercial. Evidently he was not in a total "Sit-Com Stupor", as he noticed me standing there looking at the pineapple. (Or maybe he only noticed the Pineapple!)

His passing comment.... "Don't buy that kind of Pineapple any more.... It's tough!"

I stood there in stunned silence, well silent except for the muffled sounds coming from the bathroom. It took a minute to dawn on me! The idiot had eaten the core!

Whoops! I mean the poor man had ingested the pith because I failed to instruct him to not eat "waste"!

Bad, girl.... bad girl.... I laughed all night.

So you have some fun too! You never know WHERE you will find it!

No comments: