Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More of My Poetry From the 1950's!

My gosh, going through this old poetry is almost "too much". I think these three that I wrote back then are kind of different....

"A Yukky Love Poem... Oh Teen Angst!"

"If you didn't love me, then why did you kiss me?
Kiss me so softly, and make me love you...

If you didn't love me, then why did you miss me?
And come back so sweetly, that I missed you too....

If you didn't love me, then why did you take me?
With passion, with tendress, with soft lies to cruel...

If you didn't love me, then why did you love me?
With your burning heart, and my soul for it's fuel...."

(I don't know if "tendress" is really a word. I thought it was a nice abbreviation for tenderness that didn't disrupt the rythmn...)

The following I wrote in sympathy for a woman who showed up in church one Sunday and was sort of shunned because she looked like she didn't belong....

"Dashed Hopes"

"I saw a hat upon the street....
A hat like the good wear when they plan to meet...
The seventh day of the week...
I seen them smile, and bow, and speak.

So I picked the hat up in a spurt...
I fixed the veil and brushed off the dirt...
I went home and smiled at the kids...
Now I will do what everyone else did.

I hid my dress under my coat...
It wasn't too bad and hid my bloat...
I fixed my hair with a rubber band...
Then I found a glove to carry in my hand.

I took the Bible just for show...
I don't read it, you know....
I found a church that was big in size...
When I walked in, they showed their surprise...
Guess they couldn't believe their eyes!

Well I sat behind this dame sporting a big red feather...
I couldn't see much altogeather...
When I left, a few shook my hand...
But I saw myself as I really was and I knew that it would take more than a hat to make me very grand....

When I went home, my youngest child drew near....
While I sat thinking, Fred came in with some beer...
There isn't much fun for me except what's in that glass..
When I was young I had some pleasure and it quickly did pass...

No, maybe my life to you seems a little strange...
But it takes more than a gutter hat to make a Gutter Rat change."

Woosh! That was a sad but true little vignette.... Some people are just caught in a whirlpool of sadness and don't know how to get out of it...

Here's another passing thought about a passing figure in the night.

"I looked out into the night as if it were for the first time tonight.
Through a pane of glass I beheld a spark which I thought would be a light on a plane in flight.
But no, it was a star, dancing in the free joy of the night...
It was cold and the ground was slick... but above was a sign of God's presence, I thought...
No wonder so many cultures were religiously orientated around heavenly bodies, blindly worshipping the light and not the "Maker"...

A lonly figure was on the walk, making his way quickly, huddling against the cold.
He went quickly, shuffling ... to what, from what?

We gaze upon the beauty of the stars far away, and try to reach the Moon, but what of the spark that we could kindle in cold hearts? The stars care not for our adoration, but man cries in the night. Do you not hear?"

OK, that's serious enough! Now, smile at each other... it will make your hearts glad! :)

No comments: