Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Pooh-Bear" Williams and My Daughter Becky

By the time my pretty blonde daughter was 20, she had several years experience working in nursing homes. With her nurturing nature, we thought she was going to go on to become a nurse.

(So handy to have a nurse for a daughter, when you are getting old!.. hah)

Well, one day Rebecca decided she was going to sell cars instead. There was an opening at a car dealership, so my size 2 blonde marched all of her 120 pounds in to interview with a seasoned "I've seen it all" prospective boss.

Though inexperienced, she was armed with an intense desire to sell cars, and was hired "conditionally"...

She did well because she was smart and worked hard. I often went in and saw the older pot-bellied salesmen chatting with each other while Becky was in her cubicle, making phone calls to prospects... "A car just came in that I think is just what you were looking for...." (Now don't you envy her boss?)

Long story short, she was "Sales Person of the Month" more than once and became a Finance Manager too...

However, here is a funny little story about this accomplished rookie!

We lived in Orchard Park, New York, two miles from the Buffalo Bills Football Stadium. It was commonplace to see well-known football players, Coach Levy & his wife, and Mr. Butler at local hang-outs.

One day my daughter took a financial application from a 300 lb. plus black gentleman... He gave her all his info in a quiet genteel manner... Place of Employment... "Buffalo Bills" Weekly Pay.... (I don't remember, but say $3,000.00 a week) ....

All of a sudden, during the process, a lightbulb went off in my pretty blonde daughters head... she looked up at him, opened her light blue eyes wide and said, "Oh, you work for the Buffalo Bills! What do you do?"

"I play football" he deadpanned back...

That, my friends, was "Pooh Bear Williams".... a big, mean running back, but a real sweet gentleman...

So.... all of you with "blonde" daughters... smile and know how lucky you are! :) Love to all...

1 comment:

Rodney said...

“...a big, mean running back, but a real sweet gentleman...”

I knew Pooh Bear in college and have to say he is the furthest from mean you can possibly get.